If you’re looking for that wintery creamy soup without the, err, cream: this is it!
My dairy-free cream of mushroom soup is so delicious it’s sinful… but also totally guilt-free.
Here’s how you make it:
- One whole head of cauliflower
- 1 quart bone marrow stock – use vegetarian stock to make this a vegan soup!
- (2) 16-ounce containers of sliced button mushrooms
- Two white onions – diced
- One and a half to 2 cups raw organic cashews
- 1 cup white wine-I used Sauvignon Blanc
- 1/4 cup garlic paste
- Peppercorn mix which must include white pepper
- Sauté your mushrooms with salt until they are almost browned. You may set some mushrooms aside for a garnish.
- Add diced onions and continue sautéing until the onions are translucent
- Add 1/4 cup garlic paste and white wine
- Add bone marrow broth
- Allow to simmer for two hours
- Use an immersion blender her and blend until creamy
- Add peppercorn mix to taste. The white pepper is critical for the flavor you want in this soup
You won’t need to add any citrus or vinegar because the white wine takes care of the sweetness as well as the acidity that you need for this creamy soup to taste perfectly balanced.
I put toasted pine nuts on mine but you can also add a greens for a garnish, such as parsley or chives.